Sunday, October 26, 2014

Do your laundry

The magic age is 14. That's the age that you learn how to do your own laundry (in our house). 

Once they know how to do it, I will do it for them. It's just that initial learning how to do it on your own. 

Well, that's all changed now. 

I'm tired of begging the boys to bring down their dirty clothes so I can wash them. They throw their clothes on the floor of their room instead of the hamper. I made it easy. Everyone has their own hamper in their room. How hard is it to throw your dirty clothes in when changing? 

Apparently, for my kids,  it's extremely difficult. 

So, I decided that the boys are just going to have to wash their own clothes. They're old enough. They know how to use the washer and dryer. Let them decide when they want clean clothes. 

Last night, Alex was telling me that he had to wash his clothes. 

Alex:  "How many of those tablets do I put in there?"

Me: What tablets?

Alex: The ones for the dishwasher? 

Me:  Why would you put dishwasher tablets in the washing machine?

Alex:  I don't know. They are right there in the laundry room. 

Me:  that's because the box was too big to fit under the sink. The extras are in the laundry room. 

This morning, while feeding the dogs, I looked at the washing machine and saw that the jar holding the dishwasher tablets was on top. The washer had a load inside that was probably started yesterday and smelled like wet dog. 

I decided to run the load through again. 

I went upstairs and told both boys that dishwasher tabs are for the dishwasher. 

Nick told me he put one in with the clothes. He said he couldn't find the laundry detergent. 

Oh.  No one brought the dishwasher tablets down to the basement. They got tired of hanging out under the kitchen sink and wanted to see how the rest of the world lives. Their first stop was the basement on top of the washing machine.

So, right before leaving for work, I wrote this:
Instructions on how to use the washing machine. (I didn't want to come home to a broken washing machine. 

I also labeled the laundry detergent
So much for fancy labels. I had to get to work and didn't have time to make a nice label. I will add that to my "To do" list. 

For now, lets just hope the washer and dryer (and I) survive.  



No comments:

Post a Comment