Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Count The Money

 Took a trip out east a few weeks ago.  While out sightseeing, I stopped in a little shop and purchased an item.  It wasn't very expensive, and I thought I would just pay for it in cash. I had quite a bit of change and thought I would use it for this purchase. I counted out the change, separating each dollar out so it was easy for the cashier to count.  The cashier, a guy in his early twenties, starts counting the change.  He is counting quarters as thirty-five cents.  Nickels are sometimes worth five cents and sometimes twenty-five cents.  At this point I realize that he has no idea how to count money.  After struggling to count out two dollars in change, I had to step in and help the guy out.  He finally gave up and put all of the money in the drawer.   Normally the cashier counts the money prior to placing in the drawer.  I think he was just frustrated and possibly embarrassed.   

When we left the store, I must have talked about this moment for a LONG time (sorry, RT).  But isn't that sad, that this generation has no idea how to count change?   I realize that as a society we might eliminate currency (paper and coin) but, to not be able to count, add and identify American currency?  And you live here?

I find that very disturbing.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment