Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Felt Heart Ornaments

 It's almost that time of year!  The National Holiday!  

If you're new here, The National Holiday is how RT refers to Valentine's Day.  You see, I have always been a big Valentine's Day fan.  I love love, hearts and all things red.  I'm not talking the commercial Valentine's stuff, like flowers, card, chocolates and dinner reservations.  Although, I won't turn those down, I mean, who turns down chocolate?  I'm talking the heartfelt love notes and handmade cards.  The romantic gestures like making a special dinner or dessert.  And Valentine's Day has all of that for an ENTIRE DAY!   

I have a little white birch tree in my living room.  Currently, there are red and white disco balls hanging from the tree.  I had some extra felt hanging around, made these cute heart ornaments so I could show the tree a little love.  


The felt heart ornaments are very simple to make, let's get started!

Supplies needed:

Felt (red, pink, white or multi color)
Heart template (or pencil and paper)
yarn 
embroidery thread
needle
pencil
scissors
cotton stuffing

Ready, set, GO!

Use your pencil to trace the heart template onto your piece of felt.  If you do not have a heart template, make one by folding piece of paper in half and drawing half of a heart.  Cut out and you will have the perfect heart.  My hearts are 1.5" x 1.5".  Cut the heart out using the scissors.  You will need two hearts, so, repeat this step.

Cut a piece of yarn approximately 2 inches.  Tie the ends in a knot.  

Once you have your two felt hearts, thread your needle, making sure to tie a knot at one end.  Place one of the hearts on a flat surface with the knotted yarn on top (knot part inside the heart, of course).  Draw the needle through the knot part at the top of the heart. *  Place the other heart on top and proceed to stitch the two hearts together.  You can use any stitch you prefer; I used the running stitch for this project.

A little past the halfway point is when you can start to add your stuffing.  Make sure all of the stuffing stays in the heart and continue your stitching until you make it back to the top and the heart is completely closed.  Tie a knot, draw the needle through the plush and cut thread.  Cut off any extra strands.

*I went through the knot a couple of times to make sure the loop is secure   
*My finished hearts are at the top right of the picture
*I like to use thread that will stand out on the hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment