Friday, October 6, 2017

Vegetarian Diaries - Vegan Brownies Dairy Free Option

I mentioned a week ago that we were looking for some dairy free options for desserts and, guess what I found!  Vegan Brownies!

Bella loves brownies and since she is the one with the dairy problems, I thought a brownie dessert recipe would be perfect to test.

There is a link for gobs of details and pictures for the recipe.  My family (the non-vegans) actually enjoyed these brownies.

Here's the recipe:


Vegan Brownies
recipe found here

ingredients:
1/4 cup almond butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup + 2 TBSP melted coconut oil
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
2 flax eggs*
1/4 cup + 2 TBSP white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup chocolate chips


directions:
Oven: 325F
Line 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper and set aside

In bowl, whisk almond butter, brown sugar, syrup and melted coconut oil until it resembles carmel.

Add cocoa powder and whisk until shiny and smooth.  Add in vanilla and salt.  Stir until mixed in.

Add flax eggs, whisking until it is well incorporated.  Whisk in flour.  You might have to switch to using a spatula at this point.  Mix until no flour clumps remain.

Add chocolate chips and pour into prepared baking dish.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Cool for an hour.



*flax eggs:  2 TBSP ground flax = 6 TBSP water whisked together and set aside for 15 minutes

I used peanut butter instead of almond butter
I used half the sugar and I didn't use that much syrup (I'm not big on sugar)
I substituted white flour, because that's all I had on hand


If you make these Vegan Brownies, let me know what you think!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment