Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Owl sock plush animals - Fuzzy Owls

Bella decided on an Owl theme for her birthday.  She says she likes the colorful owls.  I like the colorful owls, too and thought that would be a fun birthday theme.  Of course, then I had to scour the Internet for owl birthday party activities.  Oh, the life of the birthday party planner....

Bella mentioned that she loved when she had her veterinarian party and a box of puppies appeared on our front door step (stuffed animals,  not real puppies) and all of the girls got to adopt a puppy.   I thought, why not adopt an owl?  A cute, colorful owl.  

I had a hard time finding little, cute owls that the girls could adopt so, I did what any normal person would do.....I decided to make them.  AHHHH!! 

Thankfully, I found this wonderful tutorial HERE an appropriately named blog that is titled, How to make a Sock Owl.  Great pictures and easy to follow instructions on making a sock owl.
My first sock owl

I did make a few adjustments (of course).  I used fuzzy spa socks I found at the dollar store.  I purchased both children's socks and some adult socks for this project.  I found that for the adult sock, you can make two owls out of each sock. 

they multiply pretty fast if you let them

I had felt (white for the eye and a light beige felt for the outer eye, and an orangy yellow for the beak) and buttons for the eye balls and I even had some stuffing on hand (SCORE!). 

Just follow the instructions on the blog.  The children's socks I used worked out great.  They can be cut a little shorter if you want.
On some of the owls I used Adult spa socks.  The only difference: cut socks straight across at the heal.  You will have to trim where you made the cut (to straighten it out a little) before you start the entire owl making process. 

With this cut, you can then make two owls (one from the top piece and one from the bottom piece).  They will be a little smaller, but, they turn out adorable.  We are calling them baby owlettes.

Oh, and don't forget the owl adoption certificate!  That official piece of paper needed for all owl adoptions.  I went quite simple with this one.  I made the certificate on my computer, printed it out and glued it onto some pretty scrapbook paper.   I made a small owl template and using scrapbook paper, made an owl to put onto the certificate.

"Owl be your friend forever!"
Love it!
 
These sock owls are so much fun to make that when I was finished, I still wanted to make more!  I think Alex was right.  He will come home one day and find his room full of stuffed owls.




 
Maybe I should make one HUGE owl for him????

No comments:

Post a Comment