Monday, January 2, 2023

Retail Problems

 I mentioned a few posts ago that I have a new job.  I am currently working as a cashier at a grocery store.  Yes, I strongly believe in self inflicting pain upon myself.   I had to get certified so I can do liquor sales (I got a certificate and everything!).  Apparently, my age has no meaning when it comes to selling liquor.  I have been writing down some of my favorite exchanges with customers with the hopes of sharing them with all of you.  They are quite entertaining. 

I guess I'll just jump in and start off with some alcohol stories.

There are many alcohol encounters.  You see, we have to card everyone.  Yes, you have gray hair and wrinkles, but I still have to card you.  When I card someone who is obviously over 21 they feel the need to tell me their age and that I am crazy for asking them.  I reply that I am just doing my job.  Other responses when I ask:  

"Carded?  That's just ridiculous! I'm 70 years old!"  
"Do you see my gray hair?"  
"Do I look under 21?"  
"I have gray hair, am in my 40's and run my own business!"

All to which I would like to reply, "I didn't ask for your age, your occupation or about your gray hair, I asked to see a photo ID."

Oh, and I have to see the actual ID (Driver's License, State ID).  Apparently, before I started, an employee was fired for not looking at an ID (the police were involved, etc.).  I'm not sure if that is true, and I really don't want to find out.  I guess sometimes I'm a rule follower.  

One more funny encounter before I go.  I was standing at self-checkout and a woman walks up and asks, "Can you do the alcohol or are you too young?"  I replied, "I know I don't look a day over 20, but, yes, I can ring the alcohol for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment