Monday, January 30, 2023

The Cupcake

 I was finishing up with a customer when I noticed a cupcake on the belt.  I asked if the cupcake was part of her order.  At that moment, a man, who is standing at the end of the belt with his wife and son, says, "That's mine.  How much is it?"  I finished with my customer and turn to him and say, "It's $4.00."  He then turns to his wife and says, "He doesn't need that.  It's $4.00!"  The wife immediately cuts him off and starts yelling at her husband.   "He does need it!  I buy him one every time I come here!  Who are you to tell him no!?"  

Husband:  "We have a lot of other things, I don't think he needs the cupcake.
Wife: " We need the cupcake.  How would you feel if I told you no?
Husband:  "Calm down.  You don't have to yell.
Wife: (yelling) "I'M NOT YELLING!"
Husband: I'm not buying him the cupcake.  He doesn't need it!
Wife: He needs the cupcake!  Every time we come here, I buy him one.  How would you feel if I said no to you!?

This discussion/argument went on for several minutes.  

What am I doing at this time?  Standing at my register, looking away from the arguing couple and pretending I cannot hear them try to kill each other.  

The husband caved, probably just to shut her up, she grabbed the cupcake and still "talked loudly" about it all the way to the cafe area with the son.  

They had quite a large order and I'm sure they could have found something in there to feed the kid other than the cupcake.  If it weren't for the kid, I would have told the husband to leave her now.

What have I learned from this experience?

A cupcake can bring out the ugly in a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment