Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Red Velvet Cupcakes

 I received a request for my Red Velvet Cupcakes from the birthday child.  The problem?  I could not remember where I placed the recipe.  I searched high and low until I finally stumbled upon the recipe (stuffed away in a recipe box that never sees the light of day).   I decided that it was time to put this famous recipe on the blog so I can find it when I need it.

If you are looking for an easy, delicious cupcake recipe, then check this one out.  No odd or unusual ingredients and very easy to make a batch.  The addition of the chocolate chips at the end makes them extra tasty.

This recipe has not been veganized.  I will work on that at a later time and update you with the results.

Here is the recipe:

Red Velvet Cupcakes

ingredients:
1 1/4 cups flour
2 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
2 TBSP red food coloring
3/4 cup low fat buttermilk
1/2 c butter, room temp
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp white distilled vinegar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Easy Frosting ingredients:
1/2 cup (vegan)  butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 TBSP non-dairy milk

For the cupcakes:
Oven 350F.
Line muffin pan and set aside.
Whisk together flour and cocoa powder and set aside.
In a glass measuring cup, add vanilla to buttermilk.  Mix.  Add in the red food coloring.  Mix and set aside.
Whip butter until soft.  Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.  Put eggs in one at a time, mixing well after each addition.  
Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk until just blended.
In a small cup, combine vinegar and baking soda, then add to the batter.  Add chocolate chips.
Put batter in muffin cups.  
Bake for 15-18 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean).
Let Cool completely before frosting.


For the frosting:
Cream the butter until it appears whipped.  
Add powdered sugar, vanilla and non dairy milk.
Mix until frosting is light and fluffy.
Frost completely cooled cupcakes.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

*I use vegan butter when making these cupcakes.
*If you do not have buttermilk on hand, it's pretty easy to make.  Mix together I TBSP of white vinegar and 1 cup of milk.  I used oat milk for this recipe and it worked perfectly.
*I used 1/2 cup sugar and you could not tell the difference.
*The frosting recipe is vegan.  I'm sure it will work the same if you use regular butter.


If you try making the Red Velvet Cupcakes, let me know what you think in the comments.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment