Monday, November 22, 2021

Karen Stories

 Time for some more retail entertainment  Karen Stories.  This is where I get to share some of the weird  scary  strangodd  interesting stories from my awful  frightening  fun retail job.

Today we start off with a customer asking an odd question.  I know, I know.  There are no stupid questions.  But, what do you say when someone asks you,  "Do your dressing rooms work?"  I wasn't exactly sure how I should respond to this question.  Is it a trick question, like the ones you use when you prank call someone, "Is your refrigerator running?  Better go catch it!"  ha ha ha.  Or is this question coming from a labor group wanting to know if the dressing rooms are showing up and performing their job?  Maybe the dressing rooms are going to form a union?  Do you see how this can be a little confusing?

I answered the phone at work the other day.  The caller was looking for children's snow pants.  I explained that we had quite the selection on the floor.  He told me that he would come in and have a little "looky loo."  

Let's not forget about my credit card inquiries.  We are told to ask customers to sign up with the company credit card.  Nothing like asking someone if they would like to add some debt to their life.  I don't get many people who willingly sign up for the card.  I get quite a few "No" answers.  Some are short and sweet and others a little rude.  The perk of signing up for the card is you can save money on that day's purchase.  When a customer has a large purchase, I do ask and let them know their savings for that order.  One day I asked a customer to sign up, the husband's response was, "We're not credit card people."  When I gave them the total dollar amount for their order, the wife whips out her credit card to pay the bill.  

And, one more story to let you know that retail people have a sense of humor.

My coworker realized that she was going to be sole cashier after I left for the day.  She asked me to cover the register while she takes a quick bathroom break.  Unfortunately we had a real long line of customers.  My coworker was getting uncomfortable and the line was getting longer.  I suggested she call up a back up and have him take her place.  When the back up appears, the line was gone and my coworker tells him, "I have to pee."  Without missing a beat he says, "I'm so glad that you called me up here to tell me that information."  

No comments:

Post a Comment