Friday, September 18, 2020

Walmart Greeter

 Like most people, I have big plans when I get older.  

Some people make long bucket lists of things that they want to do or experience before they die.  Bungee jumping, jumping out of an airplane, travel to some remote part of the world, go whale watching, climb a mountain, etc.  They all sound fun, right?  

I joke with my kids that my goal in life is to be a Walmart greeter.  Think about how fun it would be to welcome people into a store?  You get to talk to them, make a few jokes and move on to the next customer.  And they have lots of people coming into their store all day!

My big opportunity to test the waters on my dream job  being greeter came one day at work.  We needed a greeter and, seeing this as an opportunity of a lifetime, I volunteered for this position.

I think the biggest mistake is how excited I was to be greeter.  My coworkers gave me odd looks.  They have all experienced the greeter life and they all had a strange look on their faces when they saw how happy I was to be the greeter for the day.  I think I even frightened my manager with all of my excitement.  

My excitement slowly wore off when I saw how few people entered our store in one day.  It is also difficult to greet while wearing a mask because a lot of people can not hear you (it also doesn't help that the blower is on really high right where they walk into the store).  I also noticed that many people ignore the greeter.  So, I had to switch it up a little.  I started giving out compliments.  It was fun....for me.  Most customers still ignored me, and some thanked me.  I would be a little more excited about the greeting position if more people came into our store.  

Since I found out how challenging   boring  it can be to be greeter, I have taken to pacing.  My all time high is 2500 steps in one hour.  I'm not sure how accurate that number is because I'm using the step counter on my phone.  My next time occupier is writing blog posts.  If I keep getting scheduled as a greeter, there might be an abundance of blog posts.  Lucky you.

Even though there is a low turn out of people at work, I'm happy to say that I'm not dropping Walmart Greeter from my bucket list just yet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment