Tuesday, October 29, 2019

National Hermit Day

I found another "odd" holiday that we can celebrate (separately).  Today is National Hermit Day!!

I know!  Who comes up with these weird holidays?

I, personally, found this holiday intriguing and had to do a little research and figured I would share it with you so we can both celebrate today.

A hermit is a person that keeps to him/herself and doesn't leave his/her home.  Most hermits do this out of a religious practice.

It is believed that National Hermit Day was created for St. Colman who died in Ireland in 632 A.D.  He lived a seven year hermitage in a cave in the forest.  This day was created to honor the day that he died.

So, we are basically celebrating the death of some guy who lived like a hermit.

How do we celebrate National Hermit Day, you ask?

Today is a great day for introspection and reflection.  Use this day to spend some time alone.  Take a step away from all of the craziness and find a quiet place to hang out.  Maybe it's a hike in the woods, hanging at the park, the library, your couch or maybe a closet.

Don't feel like going out?  You could take a nap.  Netflix and chill.   Catch up on your reading?  Write (start a blog or a journal).  Exercise (yoga would be perfect way to meditate today).   Do a puzzle.  Start making your halloween costume or do a craft project that you have been putting off.  Turn off your phone.  Maybe you just need to get some alone time, away from social media, phones and email.  

Of course, I have to work today, but, when I get home, I'm not sure what I will do first.  Maybe I will make some tea and hide out in the closet?  

No comments:

Post a Comment