Thursday, September 4, 2014

Vegetarian Diaries - Eggplant Parmesan

Haven't done a Vegetarian Diaries post in quite some time.

I decided to plant eggplant in my garden this year.  It has taken off and has forced me to make dishes using eggplant.  I had RT barbecue  an eggplant for dinner one night (I sliced it up first). It was delicious.  I made my eggplant patties and eggplant Parmesan.I have been using my homemade spaghetti sauce (I have tons of tomatoes).  Nothing like a meal made with fresh ingredients from your garden!

I looked over many recipes for Eggplant Parmesan.  Many of the recipes called for breading the eggplant and frying it.  I wanted to try something a little different.  I decided to grill the eggplant (using the George Foreman grill).  I brushed the slices with oil (olive or sunflower) and grilled them.  Placed them in the bottom of a greased 9x13 dish, poured homemade spaghetti sauce and topped it off with some Parmesan cheese.  (I even went a little crazy and tossed some shredded mozzarella on it for kicks)

This has been my go to dinner.  It's quick and easy and, eggplant is quite nutritious.  I happened to look up the nutritional benefits of eggplant and was quite surprised.

Here's to Eggplant!  And, Eggplant Parmesan!


             Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment